Saturday 3 March 2012

Spring Break 2012- In Africa

Hello friends,
I know its' been a month since my last blog post and you can believe me when I tell you everything has picked up since then. The last month has been a trying one to say the least, especially dealing with school and working with my peers. However, February ended the best way possible, with our semester break.
I just got back from one of the most amazing weeks of my life, I tried getting to bed coming back from the 12 hour bus journey, but I had to reflect on the past 8 days as soon as I got home.

Last Saturday morning at 5 am, 30 of us left for a week of touring Northern Botswana the best way they know how- camping in the bush! Real Camping- that's right!
Botswana has the largest inland Delta in the world called the "Okavango Delta". We spent Sunday canoeing along the delta in "Mokoros" ( the Setswana word for Canoes) It was gorgeous and incredible to be at level with the water and all the plants.
Between traveling through Maun and Kasane ( two northern areas in Botswana) we camped in Chobe National Park for 6 nights. Each day our group we wake up at 5 am and go on Game Drives to see the animals in our Safari Cars, we'd have to wake early if we wanted to see the rarer animals like lions/lioness.
I cannot tell you how thrilling it felt to be in the wild having elephants crossing your paths, leopards just sitting on the road waiting for you to say hi, and lions two feet away from you just posing for the camera!!! It was not the zoo, it was real life and it was WILD in every sense!
Each day we got to do two game drives with an added activity, including doing a rock painting climb, and  a boat cruise to se the animals. In the evening we'd drive back to our site to the view of the  beautiful African sunset.
We ended our week off with a day trip to Zimbabwe ( one of the four neighbouring countries to Bots) to experience Victoria Falls- one of the Seven Wonders of the World.
Beautiful does not even begin to describe, and friends- sadly Niagara doesn't even come close to how incredible these falls are!!
A few friends and I also had the chance to meet a group of Zulu singers from Zimbabwe who taught us traditional song and dance and dressed us in their head gear- and  I even got a drum lesson!

Coming back from the week that just flew by, I am honestly stunned at how beautiful the simplest things in the world are. Every picture is a postcard and every moment was a dream that I wish never ended.

I'm back to life and reality now, about to start a week of tests and assignments and feeling pretty sad about it, but I am so glad for this week of wonder and discovery.
Expect many pictures- and expect to be amazed

Wishing you all a safe and happy week where ever you are, and reminding you to smile at the little things :)

lovelove

No comments:

Post a Comment